I was wondering if unlock team has considered having another layer above the team as community ambassadors to further the promotion and adoption of Unlock Protocol moving forward to 2023 and beyond.
Though the platform rewards monthly contributors, yet I think to have dedicated long-term community leaders and supporters for the protocol community, an Ambassadorship may be considered.
A tip on the process effectively as seen and used by superfluid protocol recently to select the superfluid community ambassador is outlined below because I seem to resonate well with their process (though that will be up for debate in our Unlock Protocol community here):
Here are a few examples of how ambassadors can support and contribute to Unlock Protocol and community development moving forward:
Awareness: Unlock evangelists within and outside the web3 space
Growth: Introducing Unlock to new projects and individual creators.
Mentorship/Community: Offering mentorship and support for teams who are building with or integrating Unlock into their projects.
Technical Support: Organizing technical workshops and participating in technical discussions within Unlock community while supporting those who need help.
Open Initiatives: Ambassadors are skilled, adaptive builders/content creators that are open to supporting new ideas or initiatives within the community.
If you’re building a project with Unlock Protocol (across different platforms, they will be able to help or point you to the right resources!)
For the launch of the program, the superfluid protocol team carefully handpicked select individuals to become their inaugural ambassadors. Some of their main criteria for selecting ambassadors include the following which I still find worthy of consideration for Unlock community as well:
- Long-term, consistent and proactive commitment to our community
- A deep understanding of how Unlock Protocol works
- Have built (or are building) working products with the protocol (or created educational content promoting/helping the community solve issues relating to the Unlock Protocol)
- Naturally empathetic and supportive towards new Web3 developers
- Motivated to represent Unlock Protocol across the broader crypto space and beyond
- Natural leaders that want to take ownership and help us achieve our long-term mission (this is so essential considering Unlock is a DAO)
(1) Invite-only ambassador program where anyone that wants to become an ambassador needs to voluntarily be doing all or most of the above-listed features to qualify, get noticed and be invited by the Unlock Protocol team
(2) The first set of ambassadors could be between 5 to 10 people max (to pilot test the program and observe the benefits of the project in the first half of 2023) by then, there would have been other community members that may be due for an invite into the ambassador program by the team to grow the ambassadors’ number to like 10(if previously 5) or 15(if previously 10)
(3) The first ambassadors could be hand-picked by the team by now considering its already 10 months in 2022 and they can unbiasedly identify those who have been contributing, promoting and supporting others in the Unlock community throughout this year.
(4) New ambassadors may be added to existing ones every 6 months (that’s twice per year) to give enough room to prove themselves and avoid hit-and-run (just here for the reward) type of people as ambassadors.
(5) When the program is well established, then it can become vote base by the entire community in addition to the team suggestions before final selection decisions are made
I don’t have much to say on this but the community can decide how the ambassadors will be rewarded on a monthly bases to keep them active in the community.
A token reward of around 50-100UDT per month may be a consideration (this can also be adjusted to align with market value every 3 months or so)
This, also make it possible to penalise any ambassador that is not delivering on their duties to the community over time
If there is no reward, then the community can not expect much nor penalise any ambassador for not delivering on duties the community entrusted them with in the first place as leaders.
Even though anyone that would qualify should on their own has tried enough to know the protocol well, yet it is essential they are given in-depth personal training directly from the team.
The notion is that the more solid the ambassadors are knowledgeable able the protocol, the more effective they would be in helping other community members
(1) Unlock Protocol is currently not having enough participants in the voting process. It becomes a must for ambassadors to participate in voting which will increase the participation rate compared to what we have now (adding 5 to 10 new consistent voters every 6 months in voting-based governance decision-making is cool)
They also encourage the community to do the same and community members can also dedicate voting power to them.
(2) Represent Unlock Protocol at events/join the Unlock team at events when near to them
(3) Monitor Unlock Protocol social media platforms to ensure official content and announcements are given more voice and pushed further with retweeting, sharing and answering questions for prospective members there.
For example, I did one recently when someone asked a question under one of Unlock youtube videos and pointed them to the right place to get help in the community.
Ambassadors should be automatically exempted from some other community rewards to ensure they become the voice to encourage the members to participate over competing with them.
One of such is the monthly retroactive funding, just like I won’t expect @julien to compete for retroactive funding even though his the most active community support reps in the community month over month (so are ambassadors - that’s while it is essential to reward them monthly too),
Thus, new members can be allowed to compete fairly in doing good for the community with less competition during reward time by established members like the ambassadors.
Other exemptions can come to play as the community grows and new rewards are introduced o incentivise different community-building activities
Yeah, it’s time for the team and the community to discuss.
I just initiated this, the final ambassador program may look slightly or entirely different than the above suggestion as the team and the community deem fit.
PLEASE DON’T PASS THIS POST OVER WITHOUT MAKING YOUR VOICE HEARD VIA THE COMMENT AND SHARING YOUR OPINION TO MAKE THIS BETTER FOR THE COMMUNITY’S PROGRESS MOVING FORWARD